Mauricio Pochettino is well know between football fans – the head coach of Tottenham Hottspurs, under which the team flourished and achieved great succes on Premier League and Champions League, managing some excellent results like the third place in Premier League and reaching the quarter finals of UEFA Champions League.
However, many managers and many money have been spent over the years to create a powerful Tottenham team, almost all without a lot of succes. That’s until Pochettino went to the team after an excellent season at Southampton.
So, what is the secret ? Is the stability of the squad, the motivation, the drive of the players ? Well, this is what we’re going to try and find out.
But first, some words about Mauricio Pochettino.
He was born in Murphy, in Santa Fe Region of Argentina. He started his career at Newell’s Old Boys. managing to win the National Championship and Clausura in 1991 and 1992. After that succes, he managed a transfer to Espanyol, a club dear to his heart even in this days, a club that was his home for the next six years, managing in the last season to win the Copa de Rey (Spain Cup).
After that, he had a two year spell at Paris Saint Germain (PSG) and then another year at Bordeaux, after which he finished his player career at Espanyol with another three year spell in 2007.
Two years later, his coaching career began at Espanyol, and after two good years, the next one wasn’t that great and he decided to part ways with the club.
Next was Southampton, in 2013, where he managed to finish 8th, the highest ever position for The Saints in Premier League. After that, a move to Tottenham, where he still is now, 4 and a half years later.
What were the secrets, in my opinion ?
- High pressing game – he started with this style in his Espanyol days and it seems to work. Keep the ball as far away from your own goal and make it easy to start a counter attack
- Variation and Versatility in wings – most of the wings backs or wingers are quite versatile, managing to adapt to certain places on the field depending on the necesity. One good example is Vertonghen, which initially came to Tottenham as a center back, but now plays quite well as an wing back, providing a lot of quality crosses for Harry Kane (when he plays).
- Promoting the youngsters – under his spell at Tottenham, he managed to promote some quality English players, most of them being the backbone for England’s semifinal appearance at 2018 FIFA World Cup. Players like Harry Kane, Delle Alli, Eric Dier or Harry Winks, to name a few.
- Formation – 4-2-3-1 is the formation he mostly used, but with a few tweeks, depending on the situation, going to 3-2-2-2-1 or 4-3-3 if the opossing team had a certain formation.
- This one is a wikipedia quote that summons up his personal approach with the players “Players coached by Pochettino also praised his man-management approach and guidance with his willingness to advise, encouraging the players to take charge of their own development as well as helping them to improve physically, technically and mentally”
That’s about it. What do you think made Pochettino so succesful as a manager ? Leave you answers in the comments.